The Water Challenge: Drink 2 liters of water a day

FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+Tumblr

I’ve definitely seen photos of this woman floating around the internet before, but I just have to write a post now after coming across her own account of drinking 3 liters of water a day. This is Sarah Smith, a woman who suffered for years from bad skin, headaches, and indigestion. When she heard that women are supposed to drink 3 liters of water a day (that’s 6 normal sized water bottles!), she decided to see for herself the power of adequate hydration. The transformation after 4 weeks is truly remarkable!

Power of water

Sarah Smith showcasing the restorative effects of water on her skin. After drinking 3 liters of water a day for 4 weeks, she noticed fewer wrinkles and red spots, no more dark shadows around her eyes, and disappearance of her headaches and indigestion as well!

Simply put, drinking enough water is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to improve your skin. Your skin cells need water to survive, and if you’re dehydrated, your skin will turn dry and flaky, leading to wrinkling. Aside from benefitting your skin, drinking enough water leads to lower calorie intake (water helps to fill your stomach!), keep your kidneys healthy, prevent constipation, and improve headaches.

I am really bad at drinking enough water because I just do not have enough time in the day to go to the bathroom (I blame my small bladder). Currently I drink less than 2 cups of water a day, which is horrendous. I know that’s not enough for me because I am thirsty all the time. Three liters of water intake a day is not really feasible for me though because I know I’ll be running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I believe that I can aim for at least 2 liters of water intake a day, which is 4 normal sized water bottles, for two weeks. That means one bottle of water with each meal and then one more spread out in between.I urge you to challenge yourself to do the same, and let me know what you find.

Happy hydrating!

medium_134463728

photo credit: Diego3336 via photopin cc

*Note: If you already drink 3 liters of water a day, drinking more water on top of that will not necessarily improve your health. It will just send you to the bathroom a lot!

7 Comments on The Water Challenge: Drink 2 liters of water a day

1. Petiteish
    October 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm (2 years ago)

Ha, I’m terrible about drinking enough water as well, for many of the same reasons. This post is very motivating, though!

2. Petiteish
    October 21, 2014 at 8:46 pm (2 years ago)

Also, have you ever studied your skin first thing in the morning and last thing at night? I’ve noticed that mine usually looks a lot softer and plumper like the week 4 picture first thing in the morning and kind of desiccated and dull late at night like the before picture – I wonder if that has anything to do with the fluids being better distributed in the face when we’re lying flat vs. all that gravity pulling it down at the end of the day. Hmm

• Joyce
      October 22, 2014 at 6:09 am (2 years ago)

Interesting thought about the fluid redistribution! Also, skin repair and renewal happen mainly at night, so that could be another reason why your skin looks softer in the morning. Do you use night cream as well? I use it pretty much everyday, so by the time I wake up, my skin is still considerably more hydrated than the evening before.

3. Kerry-Ann
    October 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm (2 years ago)

Lol I just challenged myself to drink 1L while at work by carrying a water bottle. So far failing, but your post is very motivational!

• Joyce
      October 22, 2014 at 7:38 pm (2 years ago)

Haha! I am trying to keep up with it but I’m on night float right now so I’m very disoriented and noncompliant in general. I find that I can’t just bolus myself water because I end up simply running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I have to take it in gradually. I was thinking of you when I tagged you in my facebook post because I know surgeons have a difficult time with water intake. How do you deal with the fact that you can’t go to the bathroom for hours while scrubbed in a surgery?

4. Carly
    October 25, 2014 at 12:53 pm (2 years ago)

I switched to drinking only water and milk several years ago, when I started researching the ingredients in some of the soda and juice products I was drinking. It was amazing! I felt so much better and weight maintenance was so much easier. I have stuck to water and milk for the past 7 years and don’t think I will ever go back to drinking soda or juice on a regular basis. I love that you posted about this….
    The Doctor Diva

• Joyce
      October 26, 2014 at 1:11 am (2 years ago)

Carly – I pretty much only drink water and milk as well; I actually don’t like the taste of soda so I never drink it (way too bubbly!). I think it’s great that you’re experiencing such positive effects with healthy beverage choices!